Wednesday, July 20, 2011

How to Effectively Attack the Elderly without Really Trying

If one of my goals is to become a better writer, and becoming a better writer takes practice, then I am already at it by writing.  But another one of my goals is to connect with other people, and I see no better way to do that than with a good fight.

I delivered a paper at the Purdue Comparative Literature conference in 2010, and it was not the public speaking that terrified me the most; it was engagement with my ideas.  I was also afraid to defend my Master’s thesis because for some reason, I can get unsure of myself when I am having to make a claim and defend it.  I did end up doing well at both, but I still tend to avoid religious and political debates.  I think the reason for this fear stems from not knowing as much as about any given subject as I’d like to, but then again, I want to have complete knowledge and understanding, which is, of course, not possible. 

Let me give an example.  We have heard recently in the news that if the US government doesn’t raise the debt ceiling by the beginning of August, we’re in for some serious consequences.  For instance, President Obama has said that Social Security checks won’t go out unless an agreement can be reached.  When asked my opinion on the matter, I didn’t really know what to say except, “Well, I don’t really understand how the government works in terms of financial matters.  I’m lucky if I can get my own checkbook balanced (which I don’t even actually do), so I’m sure that there is all kinds of stuff going on behind the scenes that I don’t know, and that’s why everyone is freaking out.” 

Even as I gave that answer, I knew it was a coward’s cop-out.  Even I know that you have pull in at least as much money as you spend, or you go into debt.  I also know that many of our elderly depend upon those checks to live so to take them away without having anything to replace them is…I don’t even want to finish that thought.

So, to that end, here’s today’s Fight Question:

When President Obama or anyone else says that Social Security needs to be discontinued (it was after all supposed to only be a temporary measure in the Depression), is that in effect an attack on the elderly?  Let’s face it; many of our elderly are not as mobile as they used to be, and they are not in as good of health as they used to be.  Do we really expect them to march to Washington in protest?  And if they are not as able to make their voices heard by peaceful assembly, then it seems like Congress would be able to do whatever they want to do against the weakest among us. 


I never hear Congress threatening to lower their own salaries; they always go after education, Medicare and Social Security—children and the elderly. 

Is our government going after the weakest among us whenever there is a money crisis?

1 comment:

  1. I have never fathomed the government's ways. Most people I know are taught to budget. You find out how much you make and then you spend less than that amount. The government seems to do about it backwards. They spend money and then figure out how to raise it. Seems like someone needs a lesson in personal finances.

    ReplyDelete